Monday, December 06, 2004

familiarity n nostalgia

Went to the market today with mum n sis cos i needed to get a pair of tights for dance camp. Oh, and i need to get heels too, those with back strap. The recommended height for heels is 2 1/2 inches! *oops* I think i might have some difficulty walking in them, and i'm expected to dance in those shoes???!!! Right. Hmm, the last time i went to the market was when i went to get flowers for michelle and the time before that... *scratches head* I don't even remember when.

I used to enjoy going to the market with my dad, doing grocery shopping, when i was a kid. Looking at all the different kinds of vegetables and fish, taking in the scene as the buyers and sellers haggle over the prices. But, slowly, as the years pass by, that fascination seems to fade with time, or perhaps, i've just outgrown it.

Oh, and the little garden near my place. My ah gong used to go there every evening, with his friends, sitting at the benches, enjoying the evening breeze and chatting away in dialect---henghua. I still remember those times when i'd come home late from shopping with mum n sis... we'll always pass by the benches where my ah gong and his friends sat. Usually, he'll be sitting there with his back facing me. So, me and my sis would, at the count of 3, shout "gong gong!" and then laugh with glee as all the ah peks turn and look at us, wondering who exactly we're calling. That little garden is no longer there now... Those old benches where my ah gong and his friends used to sit, the pebbled walkway... They had to give way to newer things. Upgrading. Hmm, sometimes, i prefer things being the way they are.

I've lived in this neighbourhood my whole life. This place holds so much memories for me. Sweet, happy memories. Ah, home sweet home.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home